Thursday, September 18, 2014

Story

The Potion Master
             
               Carina set vials and a potion book all on the table next to her cauldron to prepare for the special potion she was about to brew. She nodded in pride as it had taken her quite a while to get all of the ingredients for it. She checked her book and nodded, the first step was to get some water boiling which he had already done beforehand, so now all she needed to do was follow the steps.
                She easily added the first few ingredients to the cauldron, which were just some herbs she’d been collected over a few weeks, and followed the instructions on what to add next, which way she had to stir the brew, and how long to wait before she could move on. It didn’t take long before she was able to add the final ingredient, which was a specialty liquid that was the hardest for her to get, but the most crucial part of her potion. Without it, the potion surely would not work.
                She opened the vial and carefully leaned over the cauldron to pour the smallest little drop she could into it. With her eyes knitted in concentration, and her tongue sticking out, the droplet finally fell into the potion. In just mere seconds, the concoction exploded in her face. She blinked a few times and then shook the soot out of her hair.
                Why didn’t it work?! It was supposed to work! She pouted and then decided to try again. She stood a little further away from the cauldron this time and leaned over to pour in the drop. Right as she did, she stepped away a little farther, but the potion exploded once again; she was still just close enough to get some of the blast on her.
                This time, extremely frustrated, she got a long instrument to hold onto the vial to pour the drop in from a greater distance away while behind a chair. She concentrated hard and slowly poured the drop in, but the cauldron exploded yet again and reached all of the way to the chair where she was trying to hide.
                She got very angry this time and stood up to stop over to the cauldron, kick it, and angrily pour all the remainder of the liquid into the cauldron and threw the vial on the ground. She was breathing heavy out of her anger, but then calmed down once she realized that the cauldron had not exploded this time. Curious, she snuck up closer to the cauldron to take a look, and it had changed to the exact color that the book said it would.

                She checked the book again and wasn’t sure how it worked since the recipe called for only a really small amount of the last ingredient, but she was happy that her potion was finally finished as it should be. She looked at her concoction once again and rubbed her hands together and smirked mischievously before taking out two glasses that she filled with the potion. She left them on the kitchen table with a lone card that said “For Mom and Dad, love Carina.”

3 comments:

  1. I like the story! I like that it's simple too. I'm curious as to how you'll show the viewers that the last ingredient was the hardest to retrieve. I like how she struggles with the last ingredient too. It's funny that even though she was only supposed to put a small amount of the liquid in, she keeps adding more to fix the problem.

    I think you should add some kind of hint as to what the potion does exactly. At the end of your story, Carina leaves the potion for her parents. But what do the potions do? Based on your character back story, she isn't necessarily a nice person, so I assume the potion is something bad. However, if I never read that back story I don't think I'd clearly understand that the potion was a bad thing, if it was. Maybe a quick shot of the effects of the potion from the potion book would be good to show. We don't need to see the parents after they take the potion, but I think the viewers would like to know what the potion was. I look forward to seeing what you do with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that if each time the potion explodes, it gets less worse, it'll take impact out f the gag each time. maybe the liquid can have a different effect each time, that somehow reaches her, no matter how far away she adds it from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! I was gonna add like a skull and cross bones to the book she was looking at to indicate that the potion is poison.

    And I like the idea of the potion having a different effect every time. I'll have to think of something.

    ReplyDelete