Cobb was never a big fan of snow or even the winter in
general because it meant that his flowers would die and he’d have to wait until
spring again to be able to plant some more. Spring was actually his favorite
season because of that, but he also quite enjoyed the autumn because he loved
the fall harvest and the weather was lovely. Definitely the polar opposite of
the weather now with the snow storm coming in. So he just sat by the fire to book
and a nice cup of tea to wait it out.
Suddenly his door slammed open and
the sound sent Cobb flying into the air out of fear and he hid behind his
chair. The loud howling of the wind died down when he heard the door close, and
he peeked over the arm of his chair to see who was there.
“H-hello?” he stuttered out, feeling
himself tremble.
“Calm down, Cobb. It’s just me.”
Came the voice of his friend Lon the wolf-man.
Cobb gave out a breath of relief.
“Don’t just come barging into my house like…”
“Ah. Sorry about that, Cobbler.”
Cobb sighed. “Please don’t call me
that…”
Lon ignored him and just got
straight to the point. “So I’m out of grub and I don’t like what you eat, so
let’s go eat somewhere!”
“But…it’s snowing
outside!”
“Never mind that, it’ll be fine.”
He walked over, grabbed Cobb’s arm, and pulled him outside. “C’mon!” He dragged
Cobb over to his car and then practically shoved him inside and then got in and
started the car up.
“I don’t see why I have to come
with you…” Cobb said softly as he watched his cottage get farther and farther
away from them. “How are you even able to drive in this?”
“It’s more fun when you’re with a
friend, right? And I’ve driven in the snow plenty of times before, don’t worry
about it!”
The two
were now about 30 minutes away from town and another 30 away from the diner
that Lon was taking them too. There were plenty of places to eat in the
village, but Lon insisted that they go to this exact diner because the food was
apparently really good. Cobb didn’t want to be here because he didn’t really
like going out that often and especially not when he was practically forced
into it. Why he always went along with Lon’s shenanigans, he didn’t know, but
he was definitely too much of a pushover to deny him; so he just sat there and
sulked in silence as Lon drove.
Suddenly
the car started to make a really strange puttering sound and Lon pulled off to
the side of the road just in time because the engine cut out.
“What’s
wrong with the car?”
“Aha…well.”
Lon laughed awkwardly. “Looks like we’re out of gas…”
“We’re
what?! Why didn’t you get gas before you decided to drive for an hour?!”
“I
thought I had enough, and I didn’t really wanna stop to get gas in this storm…”
“Yet
you had no problem with driving in this storm?”
“What can
I say? I get irrational when I’m hungry.”
“No no
no no, this isn’t good!” Cobb started trembling again. “We’re stuck out in this
snow storm miles away from anything and it’s cold and it’s supposed to get even
colder and it won’t be day light for hours and oh my god we’re gonna die out
here!”
“Cobb,
chill out.” Lon put a hand on his shoulder to calm him down, but then he
chuckled. “Haha, chill out. Get it?”
“Please
don’t even joke about that right now, Lon! What are we gonna do? We can’t just
sit in here until morning, we’ll freeze to death!” Cobb put his hands to his
face and felt like he was going to cry. He knew he should have just stayed
home! Why did he always let Lon drag him into these situations?
Cobb
started mumbling to himself. “Okay, so we’re about 30 minutes away from town,
and 30 minutes away from the diner…so it wouldn’t matter what direction we go
in. Unless we travel with the storm instead of against it, so it’d be easier
and maybe faster since we’ll be pushed along by the wind. Yeah, that could
work! But that’s not factoring in how fast we’ll start to get cold and then
how—”
Lon
opened the car door and stepped out of it and into the storm.
“L-Lon?!
What are you doing?! We haven’t figured out a plan yet and you’ll let the cold
air in if you just open the door like that! Not to mention you’ll get cold
yourself if you just stand out there—”
“Cobb!
Are you just gonna sit there and freak out, or are you coming with me?”
“But we
don’t even have a plan yet!”
“We
don’t need one. It may be cold, but I’m a wolf-man, remember? You know how fast
I can run? I can get us to that diner in less than thirty minutes if I run. And
you can just take my jacket and ride on my back.”
“But,
won’t you get cold?”
“Ah,
maybe a little bit. But I’ll be fine. I have lots of fur, after all!”
“Th-thanks,
Lon.” Cobb hesitantly took Lon’s leather jacket and then got out of the car to
get onto his back.
Lon
took off in an instant and he really was
fast, so fast that Cobb had to hold onto his fur tightly out of fear of falling
off. He then realized he hated traveling this fast and closed his eyes so he
didn’t have to see what was happening around him; bus almost as soon as he had
shut them and lowered his body to avoid the wind, Lon stopped.
“We’re
here!”
“R-really?”
Cobb opened his eyes and saw the diner in front of him. “That was surprisingly
fast.”
“I told
you I was a fast runner.” Lon grinned widely and let Cobb off of his back.
“Alright, now prepare for the meal of a life time!” He led Cobb to the front
door, but before they got to it, Cobb noticed the sign on it that said the
place was closed due to the storm.
“Aw
man! I can’t believe they’re closed! Can you believe that? What bad luck!” Lon
crossed his arms with a pout. “Ah, well. I guess we’ll just have to go back and
eat somewhere in the village.”
Cobb
stood there with a blank expression and he couldn’t even form the words to
describe how angry he felt right now. After all that, and the diner was
closed…after all that, and they could have just eaten somewhere close like Cobb
had wanted do to in the first place.
“I hate
you so much right now, Lon…” Cobb finally said and then turned away to walk out
into the storm.
“Whaa?!
Don’t say that, Cobb!” Lon whined. “I could have left you in the car, y’know!
Hey! Get back here, you’ll freeze!”
Lon ran after Cobb and the two of
them ended up finding a 24 hour gas station. They got a pizza to eat and the
owner was kind enough to let them stay there until the storm stopped.
Great story!
ReplyDelete